Aside from the changes in leagues, the club also took some time to settle on a permanent nickname as well. Known as the Generals in the 1890's, the club was known as the Silver Seven from 1903 to 1907 before adopting the name Senators starting in 1912.
The club would regain the Stanley Cup in March of 1909 when they won the ECHA regular season championship, taking control of the trophy from the Wanderers. In January of 1910, the team would turn back challenges from the Galt Hockey Club 15-4 in a two-game, total goals series and then the Edmonton Hockey Club 21-11 in another two-game, total goals series.
The team joined the National Hockey Association, in 1910 and regained the Stanley Cup again as the 1911 NHA champions, once more relieving the rival Wanderers of the cup. Three days later they again turned back a challenge from Galt HC 7-4 and and another three days later the Port Arthur Bearcats were thrashed 13-4, with both contests being single elimination games for the rights to the cup, their last as the Silver Seven and their last of the cup's "challenge era".
Ottawa's population in 1931 was 110,000, one-fifth the size of Toronto, which was the second smallest NHL city at the time. They began to sell off their best players, suffered from low attendance at home against new expansion teams, such as the Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks, Detroit Cougars, New York Americans, New York Rangers and the Pittsburgh Pirates, as well as the higher travel costs to play those same teams all of which were located in the United States.
The owner of the franchise then announced that it would not return to Ottawa for the 1934-35 season due to losses of over $60,000 since resuming play and that he would be relocating the team to St. Louis for the 1934-35 season.
The renamed Eagles fared little better financially in St. Louis however, with long, expensive train trips to New York and Boston as well as a large number of games against Montreal and Toronto, as the poor Eagles were forced to take Ottawa's place in the Canadian Division of the NHL, despite being located much closer to Chicago and Detroit of the American Division.
Today's featured jersey is a 1927-28 Ottawa Senators Frank Nighbor jersey. Back in the early days of professional hockey, the Senators made it a habit of celebrating their status as World's Champions by wearing a commemorative patch on their jerseys the following season, as was the case in 1921-22, 1923-24 and 1927-28.
The Senators trademark red, black and white horizontal "barberpole" stripes were first adopted in 1903, and except for one season with vertical stripes in 1910-11, remained in use through the original Senators final season in Ottawa of 1933-34, with the addition of the letter "O" crest from 1929-30 on.
Nighbor signed with Ottawa for the 1915-16 season and immediately led the team in scoring his first season and the entire NHA in his second. He won a Stanley Cup with the Senators in both 1920, 1921, 1923 and1927.
He was named the first recipient of the Hart Trophy as the NHL's Most Valuable Player and also the first to be awarded the Lady Byng Trophy by Lady Byng herself in a surprise presentation in 1925 and won it again in 1926. He was one of the players sold during the Senators financial decline, having been sent to the Toronto Maple Leafs during the 1929-30 season and was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1947.